- Western Canadian Music Award winner of 'Best Solo Roots Album" 2015
- Canadian Folk Music Awards Nominee 'Contemporary Singer of the Year' 2015
Download entire album HERE.
Download Album Credits HERE.
Download Album Cover HERE.
Download BIO HERE.
"Sometimes it takes realizing how small we all are to feel like you are big. Living around mountains and under dark starry skies can really put things in perspective. You realize what's worth focusing on in this short life. We're gonna be gone tomorrow. That is kind of what this album is about. And it's also about dancing, despite of everything." -Sarah
ABOUT SARAH MACDOUGALL
Described by the magazine Rootstime in Belgium as ‘One of the greatest talents of our era”, Yukon- based 2-time Western Canadian Music Award winning artist Sarah MacDougall is getting known for her honest and poetic songs, passionate performances, and unique voice. Born in Sweden, Swedish magazine Nöjesguiden declared her “One of Sweden’s best singer/songwriters”.
The recent record, Grand Canyon, was produced by Sarah and Caleb Stull (Field Study, Dominique Fricot, Language Arts), and was recorded in Toronto and Vancouver, features 8 songs and guest appearances from Erika Angell (Thus:Owls), Rose Cousins, Jesse Zubot (Tanya Tagaq, Dan Mangan), Peggy Lee, and Leah Abramson (Abramson Singers).
Stepping outside of traditional folk and flirting with sounds that could have come from The Postal Service or Kate Bush, Grand Canyon keeps the acoustic guitar but infuses the sound with heavier drums and richly textured strings and synths.
The songs are about identity, love, fear, hope, growing up, rootlessness, and forgiveness. They are written from the point of view of the hopeful outsider, trying to figure out their place and make sense of the world. Grand Canyon sees Sarah challenging herself and pushing new boundaries musically and sonically, and it is an album that will surely see Sarah reach new levels in her career.
Sarah has played festivals such as Iceland Airwaves, Winnipeg Folk Festival, Edmonton Folk Festival, The Great Escape, and she has been featured on CBC’s vinyl Café. She has had her songs placed in TV series such as The Vampire Diaries, and has toured, opened for and shared the stage with artists such as the Cat Empire, Lee Harvey Osmond, Bruce Cockburn, Tallest Man on Earth, Passenger, and many more.
Awards and nominations:
2015 Canadian Folk Music Award, Contemporary Singer of the year- Nominee
2015 Western Canadian Music Award, Roots solo album of the year- Winner
2012 Western Canadian Music Award, Roots solo album of the year- Winner
2012 Western Canadian Music Award, Songwriter of the year- Nominee
‘Sarah MacDougall’s beautiful new record is as vast and as varied as its namesake’- CBC
Grand Canyon is a refreshing addition to Canada’s singer-songwriter genre, but it’s also so much more. The album is filled with Sarah MacDougall doing what she does best: taking indie-pop expectations and shooting them full of fresh turns and honest lyrics- Greyowl point= Proud hoot (really good)
“an excellent and an accomplished album and augers well for Sarah’s future as a distinctive writer with a unique voice. A sterling effort.”- NE:MM
“an album of darkness and light, the spring and sun after a long, arctic winter” Exclaim!:: 8/10
‘Thoughtful, strong, and spiritual”- The Globe and Mail
“This is a real breathtaking and touching record from one of the greatest talents of this era.”- Rootstime, Belgium
“Sarah MacDougall (from Malmoe and now Canada) has become one of the few voices that is separating itself from the big choir of song poets”- Ystad Allehanda, Sweden 5/5 stars!
“A downright intoxicating beauty!” 5/5 stars!- AltCountry.nl, Holland
“Like Ane Brun and Wendy McNeill, we’re not so specific about nationality when we declare Sarah one of Sweden’s best singer/songwriters” Nöjesguiden, Sweden 4/5 stars!
“A near perfect collection of memories of love”- Allgigs.co.uk 4.5/5 stars!
- 2016 Shared stages with Bruce Cockburn, Passenger and Tallest Man on Earth
- 2016 Canadian Tour with The Cat Empire
- 2015 Canadian Folk Music Award, Singer of the year- nomination
- 2015 Western Canadian Music Award, Roots solo album of the year- WINNER
- 2012 Western Canadian Music Award, Roots solo album of the year- WINNER
- 2012 Western Canadian Music Award, Songwriter of the year- Nomination
- Selected to play festivals such as Iceland Airwaves, Great Escape, Winnipeg Folk Festival
- Song placements in the Vampire Diaries, 15/Love, Arctic Air
- Selected to represent Canada on Canada Day in Trafalgar Square
- #1 in Canada on Galaxie Folk/Roots Radio for the year 2011.
- Shared the stage and toured with with such acts as Po’Girl, Lee Harvey Osmond, Hawksley Workman, Dan Mangan, Jason Collett, Rose Cousins, Fred Eaglesmith, Amelia Curran, Bahamas, Mary Gauthier, The Once, Todd Snider, Ferron, and many more.